Standardizing global maintenance at 8 refineries

An international refining business planned to implement a Global Manufacturing Template (GMT) across its worldwide fleet. The company hoped to create synergies in relation to data processing and documentation for all their systems. T.A. Cook was tasked with structuring the technical plans and data from the locations and entering them into a central SAP system. Here are the key results:


Establish SAP as the central tool for maintenance and related services


Unified operational and maintenance strategies


600,000 organizational units had to be integrated into one system


1 SAP for 8 refineries


The size and complex nature of two refineries of the largest single site meant that T.A. Cook had to integrate 600,000 organizational units across 13 operational areas into one single SAP system. To establish a uniform and compliant, yet flexible maintenance structure, the piping and instrumentation data from all the operational areas were organized according to function, process and location. 11 experts from T.A. Cook developed tools to gather data from P&ID plans and other sources and feed it all into a single resource. The tools automatically harvested 80% of the data, assigning it new attributes and uploading it directly to SAP. For the remaining 20%, the tools were recalibrated and adapted to suit.  Maintenance engineers can now use this standardized technical location data to plan maintenance and service operations, replace equipment or structural components, compare refineries or even identify costly pain points and technical bottlenecks.


By adapting the technical location structures to company-wide specifications, the business future-proofed their systems with unified operational practices. This is now the basis for detailed evaluations of the whole business and it helps to detect costly assets and bottlenecks at the refineries. The mapping of local structures streamlined the maintenance data, reducing both plant downtime and repair cycle frequency. Regularly updating documentation and data also increases security.

Related Case Studies